I have been doing some collaborative work in google docs but the use of wikis and nings increases the ability for students to be involved. I like the use of these in English and in the past have tried similar story-writing activities using pen and paper and this has been cumbersome. All-in-all it is about students using higher order thinking skills and utilising technology - through applying, creating and evaluating via a wiki or a ning they are able to do this much easier. I am part of two nings - educatorsPLN and LOPSning - and these have been vey beneficial professionally. There is great scope to add depth to the current Work Studies syllabus units used at school by using a wiki as part of the challenge-based learning at the College. In the Preliminary year, students could create a wiki on resumes, on questions in an interview or even a wiki on the subject itself, splitting the wiki up into the modules as studied through the course of the year.
Once again, however, it is the use the technology that is driving my learning. I am enjoying exposure to new mediums and platforms for learning and understanding more about the learning habits of this current generation, thus making me more confident as a teacher, an enabler and as a learning facilitator that wants to empower students on their own learning journey.
No comments:
Post a Comment